There are times when we all have ‘mood changes’. We might feel happy one day, and then something happens and we could feel ‘down’ or sad, the next. What is important is whether we ‘stay down’ or bounce back up again and feel what we’d call our ‘normal’ self within 24 hours.
The symptoms of what is classified as ‘Major Depression’ can appear suddenly or slowly and it is diagnosed as being ‘Major’ when the symptoms are stopping normal everyday functioning – whether at home or at work.
Some people may experience the following at different levels of intensity and some for as little as a fortnight, and others for much longer periods:
* Little interest in ‘doing’ anything – especially getting out of bed of a morning.
* Feeling like you want to sleep all the time.
* There could be physical symptoms such as headaches and digestive problems.
* The thought processes change – with challenges with memory and concentration.
* Changes in appetite and an increase or decrease in weight.
* Not being able to feel joy or fun – total disinterest in things that used to ‘feel good’.
* Thoughts of worthlessness, feeling hopeless – even helpless and ’empty’.
* Recurring thoughts of self harm and/or suicide.
The first inkling that you may have depression may come from a family member or friend, as usually the above symptoms come on slowly and the person involved could find it hard to understand what’s actually happening.
Please take note of what they say and get medical advice and treatment as soon as is possible.
Since I started counselling over 35 years ago, I have specialised in helping people turn depression around by using a combination of medication and other simple and practical techniques that work. Generally the client’s aim is not to remain on anti-depressants, so I work in conjunction with the client’s General Practitioner and I am very blessed to have seen this blending of methods work out many times, with the clients leading happy, healthy lives.
For further information see this article in www.keystoselfmastery.com.
Lifeline’s phone number is 131114.